(Quick plug: if you didn’t read the “Exclusive Interview With Dubai’s Most Expensive Copywriter) that I sent out yesterday, Dennis Demori put it up on his website. Check it out after you read this post.)
I posted an off-hand tweet today that turned into a powerful teaching moment.
I’ma share it with you in a minute.
But first a little context:
I was talking to my friend Pat Stedman yesterday about Victor Pride, a famous blogger in the
Pat’s a super-successful dating coach; I used an important principle he teaches as the basis for one of the most important chapters in my book.
Anyway, Pat’s of the opinion that not being on social media is bad for business.
And to an extent, I agree.
But it depends on the business.
We give up a lot of time and energy to social media.
Time and energy that we can spend creating less ephemeral, higher quality, evergreen assets.
And then I saw the perfect example to demonstrate the concept:
That was the end of it, or so I thought.
Until today, when I decided to look up Victor Pride’s traffic numbers.
And the blog isn’t his only digital property.
He also has his podcast and Youtube channel.
And he doesn’t just sell ebooks.
He sells private label supplements, does affiliate marketing, and occasionally does events.
I’d say he does about $50 – $80k a month altogether.
But wait, there’s more!
To show you how amazing Victor Pride is (for saying a big f*** you to social media and still making a s***ton of money)…
I decided to offer a contrasting example when I saw this tweet from Claire Lehman, founder and editor-in-chief of Quillette. com:
So I looked up Quillette’s traffic numbers and did a little rough math:
I was making conservative estimates like for B&D, mainly on the Google Adsense.
They do some affiliate marketing too. And they may have private donors and direct ad buys.
So their numbers could be similar to Victor Pride.
But Quillette gets FIVE TIMES as much traffic as B&D.
They should be doing 5x the revenue.
To drive the point home from another angle, let’s take a look at someone with a massive social media signal.
Only 0.1% of the people who see Ed’s social media posts come to his website.
Ed spends maybe 2-3 hours a day on social media? Maybe more?
That’s a lot of time and energy invested for a tiny return.
School is in session, bros.
You just learned how to make money online.
P.S. You know what else Victor Pride has? An email list!
Speaking of email lists…
Today’s the 28th of March. That means there are…
Only 3 days left for you to sign up for ConvertKit’s 30-Day Landing Page Challenge and have a chance at winning $5,000.
- Promotion runs: Thursday, March 21st – Sunday, March 31st
- Challenge runs: Monday, April 1st – Tuesday, April 30th
Important promo details:
- It’s free to register for the challenge and will include a 30-day trial of ConvertKit to use throughout the duration of the challenge
- ConvertKit are hosting 5 live webinars throughout the challenge to teach each step of list growth (opt-in creation, building the landing page, and promotion)
- There will be prizes for challenge registrants who pass a certain level of subscriber growth from their landing page within the 30-day challenge window
10 subscribers – 10 winners
- $25 Amazon gift card
25 subscribers – 5 winners
- 12 Months of 1k CK plan or equivalent discount for free ($288)
50 subscribers – 2 winners
- $1,000 cash prizes x 2
- One year of CK for free ($288) x 2
100 subscribers – 1 winner
- $5,000 cash prize
- 1 year quarterly coaching with an account manager = $1,000 est.
- One year of 1k CK for free
- Announced as our winner to full audience
The Contest is open only to individuals who are:
- at least 18 years old (or the age of majority in their jurisdiction of residence, whichever is older) at the time of entry
- not a resident of Brazil, Mexico, Italy, Quebec, or any country, state, province or territory under sanction by the U.S. Office of Foreign Assets Control, including the Balkans, Belarus, Burma, Cuba, DR of the Congo, Iran, Iraq, Lebanon, Libya, North Korea, Somalia, Sudan, Syria, Yemen, and Zimbabwe.
To sign up for the challenge, click on this link.