So it turns out I’ve convinced people I’m a legit copywriter. Shocking, I know.
My friend Kyle Trouble, the proprietor of thisistrouble.com, invited me on his online business podcast – The Nomad and Nerdy Show – to talk about copywriting and email marketing.
During our discussion, I made it my goal to drill the fundamentals we all tend to forget while chasing the latest marketing fads.
Kyle split the interview into two parts.
Get daily email tips and a free chapter of my new book when you subscribe to my newsletter.
Part 1: Everything You Need to Know About Copywriting
- [01:30] My introduction to the world of online business and how I fell in love with copywriting
- [03:00] How we position our services at Dropkick Copy, and who I write for under my personal brand as Dubai’s most expensive copywriter
- [04:15] The 3 essential elements of good copy – violate them at your own risk
- [05:50] What does a website optimized for direct response marketing look like? When can you break the principles of direct response? AND MY GODDAMN CAT WON’T SHUT THE F*** UP
- [08:03] The simplest explanation of a sales page or offer you have ever heard. Absolutely anyone can write a sales page this way, even if they know nothing about copywriting
- [11:05] Shattering your delusions about conversion rates, courtesy of too many entre-poo-neurs faking the funk
- [13:02] Why a “funnel” is the LAST thing you need to give a crap about. How to think of an online sales cycle and how long it takes for a reader to become a customer
- [16:03] How to create multiple “touch points” online with ZERO hard-selling so readers becoming customers is inevitable
- [17:20] My top three FREE resources for learning how to write effective copy – something to read, something to write, and something to listen to
- [19:50] Advice from the trenches – 3 pieces of advice for new copywriters I learned the old-fashioned way…by making mistakes
- [21:56] For newbies just starting out: how to build your audience from ZERO to X (hint: it doesn’t involve posting on social media)
- [23:30] The right mindset and how to view your competitors
Part 2: The Ultimate Guide to Email Marketing
- [00:45] Is an email list important? Challenging conventional wisdom and persistent (but not necessarily accurate) marketing memes
- [03:17] When does social media beat email for sales?
- [03:45] The subtle mindset differences between someone scrolling through their social media feed and someone checking their email inbox
- [05:30] The easiest way to start building your email list from day 1 (this is something I learned from Noah Kagan)
- [07:15] How often should you email your list? The 2 hidden benefits of emailing them as often as possible
- [10:48] If you’re serious about email marketing this is the ONLY opt-in / lead magnet you should start out with
- [12:50] Open rates and click-through rates are relative, but here are some ball-park figures to aim for
- [13:55] The 2 unsexy email marketing tips that will consistently make you money 100% of the time
- [15:08] A live demonstration of the RULE OF ONE